In this episode Dr. Candice Ackerman and I discuss her research on the effectiveness of Equine Assisted Psychotherapy for the treatment of OIF/OEF Veterans with PTSD (Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF)).
Interested in making a tax deductible donation before the end of the year? Consider donating to Dr. Ackerman’s study; help out the Veterans, the horses and staff!
For gifts being made online go to: https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1713/1-Alumni/simple.aspx?sid=1713&gid=1&pgid=450&cid=1106
Select "Other" and write "EDPTSDRES" which is the funding code.
For checks, the fund code is EDPTSDRES and can go in the memo section.
For gifts to count during the 2016 tax year, per IRS guidelines, they must be received by December 31st.
About Dr. Candice Ackerman:
Dr. Candice Ackerman is a licensed Psychologist in Austin Texas specializing in Equine Therapy and treating individuals with anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorders, and PTSD. She is also an adjunct Professor at St Edward’s University. She is also conducting research on the effectiveness of Equine Assisted Psychotherapy for the treatment of OIF/OEF Veterans with PTSD (Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF)).
Where to find Candice:
Why EAP works well with veterans:
- EAP is more active and engaging.
- EAP is not as focused on talking about emotions, but doing.
- The office can have a mental health stigma, while being outdoors feels less formal and is easier to open up.
- The horse can bring out a sense of "duty to help" within the veteran.
- The horse can also offer instant biofeedback and relationship feedback that the veteran can relate to.
- The horse's herd mentality goes really well with the military community view on relationships and togetherness. Safety in numbers!
Equine Programs Mentioned:
South Wind Equestrian Center in Leander, TX
DBT: Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is a specific type of cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy . http://psychcentral.com/lib/an-overview-of-dialectical-behavior-therapy/